Re: Re: Re: play tuba AND trumpet ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Howard on May 19, 1999 at 15:59:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: play tuba AND trumpet ? posted by Dave on May 19, 1999 at 13:56:15:

Dave,

Sounds as if you were offended by my post. I hope that is not the case. I was just trying to answer JR's question and, through the use of real-life autobiographical examples, illustrate that it is quite possible to play multiple instruments. "Bragging", no. However, I will say that the quality of the groups I play in is high. For example, several retired symphonic musicians including a bassoonist with Ormanday's Philadelphia Orchestra play in a large orchestra wherein I am the bass trombonist. I would not be able to hold my seat in such groups if I did not have, as you say, "significant skill".

But, aside from myself, Dave, if it is firmly fixed in your mind that people who double, triple, etc., can't play very well, it is not my goal in life to change your mind. (After all, there is a strong argument that can be made for "specialization".) However, don't tell that to Michael Mulcahy, trombonist in the Chicago Symphony, who turns in a breath taking performance on tenor tuba and bass trumpet on his Orchestral Excerpts CD. And please don't say "specialization" too loudly if you are ever around the corps of Hollywood film studio low brass players who are called upon to play alto, tenor, bass, and contra bass trombones, tubas, euphoniums, cimbassi, ophicleides, etc.(Please refer to the latest issue of Windplayer for details on this subject.)

Follow Ups: