Re: Re: Re: 993 BBb Sovereign

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bjorn halvorsen on May 20, 1999 at 04:09:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 993 BBb Sovereign posted by Bill Smithson on May 19, 1999 at 15:37:22:

Bill: I've played Besson tubas for the last 15 years or so. At first the old "satin finish" New Standard 4 valve BBb (very thick brass, tremendous fff/volume but very stuffy sound), then Sovereign 992 (good) and for the last couple of years the 994 GS. Don't know what "GS" means, but the instrument is basically a redesigned 994. Bell are shorter (same width though), top valve section and inner tubing placed higher, and the leadpipe is slightly s-curved. (992 had a straight in version. I miss that particular one). I really love this tuba, best Besson I've ever played. Compared to it's predecessors, it's got more even response, much more focused sound and better intonation overall. High range is good, also. I use the Perantucci PT 50 most of the time, and this combination gives me the sound quality I'm after. Maybe a bit soft/mellow for some people, but I like it that way.

You probably won't regret your purchase! Ergonomics are better on the top action tuba, in my honest opinion. But I have to admit I'm curious about the Willson 5 valve BBb...

Regards Bjørn Halvorsen.

Follow Ups: