Re: lanolin on slides?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan L on May 23, 1999 at 12:34:10:

In Reply to: lanolin on slides? posted by Adam B. Crowe on May 20, 1999 at 00:08:23:

I have used straight anhydrous lanolin on my horns for 30+ years. 15 of those years I played a Benge trumpet professionally; lanolin is the only goop that will hold a tuning slide in place at fff volume levels and still allow you to move the slide (albeit, with effort!). Before I found the lanolin trick, I was able to blow my horn flat - I once blew my 2nd valve slide completely off my trumpet! For my slides that I 'slide tune', i.e. 1 & 3, I add a little valve oil to the lanolin and they slide very smoothly without hanging up.

Now I use lanolin on everything from trumpet to tuba. I use it on my valve caps and threaded screws. My valve caps have never stuck on since I started using lanolin on them. Lanolin will also work as cork grease for woodwinds (awfully gooey) and as an emergency hand lotion!

The most convenient place I have found to buy anhydrous lanolin is at your local Wallgreens drug store. If they don't stock it, they can order it. I always carry a small container of it in my emergency repair kit. I buy it in a large container and transfer it to a 35mm film can for my kit.

Good luck and good playing!

jan

Follow Ups: