Re: The St.Petersburg 201N

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by marty on May 26, 1999 at 22:25:28:

In Reply to: The St.Petersburg 201N posted by Ryan on May 26, 1999 at 11:53:05:

Okay, I know I will probably take some heat for this post, but here goes..... I have a 201n, have owned it for about a year and a half now. I play it in a local orchestra, and college band and it seems to suit my needs just fine. There are some minor things about the horn that I have had some concerns about, like the plating.... but overall for the money the horn has performed well. i am a little dismayed to hear the charges that have been leveled at Tuba Exchange and I can assure you I will listen to those opinions in regard to any further dealing with them, but let me say this. When I bought the St. Pete I had SEARCHED everywhere for a decent used horn, and every one i saw or played was a piece of junk! Also most dealers were unwilling to send a horn out to be tested, despite what is posted here. I live in a remote corner of Arizona, and its a little tough to fly to Detroit or where ever at the drop of a hat to play test somebody's little gem! And way overpriced for what was offered..... having said that I wish I had gotten the opportunity to play a VMI, maybe i would have gotten a different horn. Anyhow, I digress, in regards to the St. Pete, it is a solid horn despite what some here on this bbs might have you believe, has a lovely sound, and I have recieved many compliments on the way the horn sounds when utilized in an ensemble setting. Having said that, I hope none of you tuba snobs are to offended, and if you like the St. Petes, by all means buy one. I LIKE my horn, it suits MY needs.....

Follow Ups: