Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn's 14K and 20K: Why so great??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 31, 2000 at 12:24:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn's 14K and 20K: Why so great?? posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on May 31, 2000 at 07:57:27:

An unhesitating and unlimited apology to Rob for an unfounded correction. And to the board for creating confusion.

No excuse is valid. I should not have relied on my memory, as that made me mix up a few #K numbers.

However my version of the 40K has the following features:

Bore through all 4 valves and the first branch of the main tuning slide: 18.6 mm (0.732)

Bore of the 2nd branch of the main tuning slide: 19.6 mm (0.772)

Long/normal stroke pistons.

Inner bore of bell at the bell collar: 183 mm (7.205)

Diameter of bell: 610 mm (24.055)

The model # stamped into the body as well as into the bell: 40K

Both body and bell are covered by what to me looks like an original gold plating. So I am rather sure that the bell and body have belonged together right from the factory. The bell rim does look original without any secondary cutting.

That does leave me with the question why the bell is only 24 inches. Does the non-standard bell diameter and the gold plating point toward an instrument made on a special order?

This instruments was not intended as a school instrument, and apparently it has never been used as a such one. (My Conn Eb sousa has been through a much rougher use).

Still the more subjective valuations from my former posting do stand. The 40K is a mighty instrument.

I do have pictures in digital form, but I do not know how to make them available to the board.

Klaus

Follow Ups: