Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 31, 2000 at 14:24:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6 posted by Bo on May 31, 2000 at 13:12:27:

To my knowledge, no artist receives much in the way of financial rewards for endorsing a specific manufacturer's tubas. Your two examples, Edwards and Custom, are exactly the kind of situations that I'm speaking of. In the case of Edwards, their instruments are considerably less expensive than the types of tubas a professional player will endorse. They also market to a much wider consumer base than tuba makers, thus making it easier to recoup any costs involved in securing endorsements. As for Custom, my understanding of their arrangments with clinicians is like what has been suggested in this discussion already, pick of the litter of new instruments, substantial discounts, etc. But nothing even remotely approaching complimentary instruments or substantial cash payments. In fact, what you suggest about receiving money to do masterclasses is exactly what I envision being the top dollar in this type of arrangment. My guess is that sponsorship by manufacturers and distributers is one of the highest payments made to players in exchange for their endorsement.

If you know of any exceptions to what I've suggested, I'd like to hear them. I'm always looking to learn more about our business and it never hurts to be more savvy in the business end of it!

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: