Re: High tution costs and Financial Aid

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 02, 2001 at 10:40:08:

In Reply to: High tution costs and Financial Aid posted by Broke one on May 02, 2001 at 10:29:44:

The answer to your questions as asked is no, I wouldn't. The answer for you might be different. It depends on what you are studying, and with whom and what your alternatives may be. The reputation of a school can help open some doors when first starting out, but ultimately what matters is what you learn and what you do with that learning. If you can get $20,000 more experience or skill by attending a school in New York vs. another school , then it could be worth it.

In general, I believe that there are many schools available where one can get similar educational value but at very different costs. Just because one school costs more doesn't mean that there is that much more value in attending there.

If you are asking about the value of being in New York City, that is another issue. There is probably as much or more going on in music and the arts in New York as in anywhere else in the country. IF you take advantage of those opportunities, just being in NYC can provide the extra value. Personally, I'd rather not spend more than a day at a time in NYC, and I live less than an hour's drive away. I need at least a week to recuperate from a vist to "The City" and couldn't imagine living there full time, whether working or as a student. Others swear by it (not at it) and wouldn't live anywhere else. To each their own.

Follow Ups: