Re: On wanting to quit the tuba...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Rabinowitz on May 03, 2001 at 11:46:35:

In Reply to: On wanting to quit the tuba... posted by Benjamin Schardt on May 02, 2001 at 22:50:50:

The worst lesson of my life came on the Hindemith, I was playing the first movement and I nailed it, or so I thought, the Tone was great, intonation was good, Rhythm WAS WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! The teacher was a very good teacher but he ripped me apart cause I didn't know the Piano accompaniment as well as I should have. We worked on the first few bars for an hour after I ran the first movement, and its not that the rhythm was totally wrong, I was just not thinking of the piano part being in a different time and the eighth notes didn't match up... What I am getting at is that the Hindemith is one of the HARDEST pieces to play Correctly, or at least for me it was and still is. Not to mention when you put it with the piano part you'll learn that the piano part is even harder than the tuba part. I think everyone has a hard time with this piece and even some professionals. I thought I was playing it right and well, I almost cried at the end of that lesson, at the end of the lesson the teacher told me that it was OK cause everything else sounded fine but in order to play chamber music I had to know the other parts as well if not better than my part. I still think I wasnt to quit after that one but I just keep pressing on. I haven't touched the piece since then and I know if I take it up again I will look at it differently. there are those certain pieces that just take a lot of time and effort, don't give up, it'll come to you eventually...

that was my totally useless story for today.
Good luck,
Dave

Follow Ups: