Re: Re: 4/4 or BAT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tekkie on May 03, 2001 at 12:17:35:

In Reply to: Re: 4/4 or BAT posted by ben on May 03, 2001 at 11:31:24:

And I can play loud and ugly on a 3/4 BBb. But do you want to have to play like that to project in an orchestra? I know plenty of tenor bone players who have a good low register using their F attachment. Does it sound the same as a bass bone player on a nice Minick bass trombone? Not even close.

I don't think that loudness is what "big guy" is looking for - it's more a quality and size of sound.

big guy - Would you rather struggle in smaller groups or in orchestras? It might be good for your CC playing to work on making a bigger horn work in smaller groups. If it's too tough, you always have the option of playing on your F. When I bought my BAT I considered the size of my F because I had to sell my Mirafone 188 to buy my BAT. I regret selling my 188 once in a while, but having the BAT has helped me to get more orchestra gigs, and hopefully it'll help me in the audition circuit.

Think long-term. Where do you want to go in music? Where is there more opportunity where you live? Chamber or orchestral? If there's enough orchestral work to make it worth your while, buy the BAT. They're fun!!

Follow Ups: