Re: Difference between Rotary and Piston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 03, 2001 at 17:10:26:

In Reply to: Difference between Rotary and Piston posted by John on May 03, 2001 at 10:50:36:

Rotaries go side to side and pistons go up and down. Seriously, the main difference between different tubas has more to do with the overall design than just whether they have piston valves or rotary valves. Sound, intonation, and flexibility have to do with things like bore, length and taper of leadpipe, and any number of other design tradeoffs that are made when building a tuba. There is no one combination of factors that is ideal for everyone's playing style, or we would only see one design being made.

I always preferred piston valves because they are easier to maintain yourself, although they do require more maintenance than rotaries. Also, it is easier to maintain a clearer separation between notes during quick passages on a piston horn. That said, I currently play a rotary horn. I chose it because I loved the way that it played for me. It was very free blowing, in tune, and had a great sound. I think that you can find all of these same characteristics in a piston valve horn.

Follow Ups: