Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by how low on May 03, 2001 at 22:09:23:

In Reply to: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Austin H. on May 03, 2001 at 17:31:29:

Most of the time, tubists are the only ones that recognize what other tubists do. You have to learn when it is appropriate to drop octaves...which means try out stuff in rehearsals. I was always bored to death in band, so I would drop octaves to keep it interesting. Sometimes doing entire rehearsal down the octave. Try doing Festive Ov down, and Molly on the shore. The point is this, I feel that I have a good sense as to when to drop stuff down because I used useless rehearrsal time to see what works and what doesn't. I could go on all day talking about this. Its a great opportunity to work on low chops. In Brass Band, carefully placed drops are very appropriate, and they do it a lot in England. Check out the Brassed Off soundtrack...lots of drops on there. Oh, and Military bands...geez, listen to some Marine Band recordings. The Air Force recording of Irish Tune...wow, but not written. And Eternal Father, Strong to Save, the Claud T Smith version...you know the hymn section written opt 8vb...written that way cause Marty Erickson was foolin around and the composer caught him, and liked it. Its in print now. Drop away! what are we talking about, again?

Follow Ups: