Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Euph gig bag

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wondering (emperor's new clothes syndrome) on May 03, 2001 at 23:07:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Euph gig bag posted by RD on May 03, 2001 at 17:42:00:

I subscribe to various lists, including tuba-euph, trombone-l, contra, and a couple of others. What I have noticed (from lurking, mostly), and find disturbing is that just because a person is a prolific poster, their comments are often taken as gospel by a great many subscribers, even when their comments are gross generalizations, inaccurate, or even falsehoods. For example, a well-known repairman whose work is discussed frequently in this and other forums is considered to be a "wizard" and a "genius" by virtually all here. This in great part from prolific posts by person we don't hear from much anymore. However, this repairman has also done his share of less than desirable work, and outright damage to my instruments, and those of several of my colleagues. No one is perfect. However, just because his name is invoked with reverence on this list, no one wants to hear about the negative.

Putting the words "in my opinion" or "I believe" somewhere in a post goes a long way to soften what some find to be arrogance. In the case of this "dent bag" thread, I think it's arrogant on the part of a person to claim to have "authored" a phrase that I have been hearing for at least 25 or 30 years. By the way...I've owned MANY gig bags over the years, including Altieri, Dolly, R. Meinl, and Reunion Blues, and the only one that I would call a "dent bag" was my first...an old green vinyl one for bass trombone by Conn.

MOFWIW

-Won "opinion does not always equal fact" dering

Follow Ups: