Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 04, 2001 at 17:51:44:

In Reply to: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Austin H. on May 03, 2001 at 17:31:29:

This is a great discussion! I've noticed that the opinions really come down largely to the philosophical question of whether the music is a framework upon which to build, or a framework within which to work.

Maybe it's because I haven't had that much exposure to classical music, but I tend to feel that the answer to that question lies with my audience. In English comp, I was taught to consider who my audience is when writing. I think the same holds true here. If my audience is 'sophisticated', and will appreciate nuance, I would be more inclined to play the ink, with more limited interpretation. If, however, the audience is comprised of people who, like me, "don't know much about art, but know what they like", I say tickle their ears with tasteful embellishments. Notes taken down an octave, when it 'makes sense' make their stomachs rumble, and they love it.

If I ever play in another classical concert, Berlioz won't be there, but my mom, my wife, and my kids probably will be. So who should I try to please?

Joe "Flame-thrower-bait" Baker

Follow Ups: