Re: Re: Re: Re: Pedal Notes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 05, 2001 at 13:12:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Pedal Notes posted by Tim Murphy on May 05, 2001 at 11:50:50:

If you're smart, you'll put the weaker player on the upper parts. We always did this in the sections I played in because it takes fairly advanced players to really control and project the low range stuff. The technique I described works with just about any instrument I know of and should work fine with your Amati. I think the biggest mistake that beginning players make is that when they try to play lower notes with a consistent embouchure and the notes don't sound good, they immediately try to adjust the embouchure to make those notes sound better. This works in the short term but leaves you playing with a shift. If the player makes the investment of time to work on the sound of low range notes using a consistent embouchure, they discover that not only do those notes eventually just just as good (if not better) than with the shift, they require less air, are more easily controlled at higher dynamics, and the lack of an embouchure shift enhances flexibility in that range greatly.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming performance!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: