Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unknown Musical Sign - Help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by .....for I have sinned!! on May 07, 2001 at 08:07:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unknown Musical Sign - Help! posted by dan on May 06, 2001 at 18:19:30:

You are right Dan, it was made up!!!!! But... Judging by the fact that nobody else has come up with a "Groves" dictionary approved alternative you might just be able to have a bit of fun telling your German band mates that that (or one of the alternates on offer _I like the bread one) is what it is. Hey... like you said, they don't know. Give 'em a good story and with a bit of luck they will have a good laugh - not at you, but with you. You should have heard some of the lines Bill, Jake, and Harve could come up with and catch you with the pants down!!!!!!!!!
You would probably find, if you had access to older European texts on manuscript copying that this is just another way of writing a D.S. I have struck it myself, and that is how it was interpretationated.
Anyway, Dan, your honest and innocent question has provoked some lively entertainment here on the BBS, so even if your questions result in some laughter, keep asking as we are laughing with you, not at you and even a dumb question would be better than a dumb mistake. We are often told to learn from our mistakes, but asking a question can be a lot safer and more productive. (Even when some of us go more for the fun side than the sun side.)

I don't mean to sound patronising, but I think you're a good kid. Keep working at it and you will make your mark and in future I will try to be more understanding and helpful.

By the way, I know a dog who knows the mean B.......... who said you should pay to repair damaged instruments. Dog says he didn't mean to pick on you or be rude, but after a day of fixing a badly mangled school instrument for free after it was intentionally damaged he felt like saying that if you use a school instrument, please take care of it like you would your own instrument, and if an accident happens, do what you would with your own instrument, be prepared to have a qualified person fix it rather than risk innocently causing more damage. Sorry, this was probably a case of shooting the messenger when the principle was meant for anybody in the same situation, though a few others (also anon)were seemingly trying to reinforce the point. It was not a "personal" attack on you. Sorry, apologies offered.
Anyway, Dan, good luck and I am sure a lot of us look forward to seeing more from you on the board.

Ken

Follow Ups: