Previews: Weril 3/4 4V Eb & Meinl 4/4 C

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Sellmansberger on May 08, 2001 at 22:54:35:

I will be putting a couple of posts up in the near future that will be of interest to some:

1/ I've received a lot of emails about the new Weril 3/4 4V EEb. D.E.G. is sending me one to play and review on this bulletin board. Obviously, if it is any good, I would like to sell it once I've received it, played it, and written a review, rather than turning it into a cobwebbed planter or boxing it up and sending it back to them. Those of you who have bought Weril instruments from me are familiar with my pricing, and those of you who recall my original reviews of the Weril 3/4 4V BBb and CC might recall that I mentioned all of the intonation problems that I discovered on both of those, rather that just "rosy" reviews about "marvelous" this-and-that. I'm certainly not the "end all" for tuba opinions, but I'll put up an informative critical review. I'll play it with some shallow "C4" mouthpieces up to "medium bowl" cup mouthpieces, but I won't be playing it with any Helleburg mouthpieces...Sorry, my biases towards small instruments will be inserted re: mouthpiece selections for the trial.

2/ I also have an acquaintance's Rudy Meinl 5 rotor 4/4 CC for sale. This is a latter-vintage instrument (like you've seen LATELY, and NOT one of the super-old "Mirafone-shaped" ones) with very good lacquer and a factory #2 slide top-controlled tuning gadget (for 2-4 tuning, correcting sharp notes that use #2, and for correcting intonation below low F#). It has one of those really nice molded Euro-cases with wheels, AND a really nice Reunion Blues bag. This is a really good RM with good intonation and a great sound. The typical knick-knocks are around the back of the bottom, etc. I'll put up one pic and a link to others, probably tomorrow. I'd rather sell it HERE than on e--y, I think, as there is probably plenty of interest here and without the auction "medium", no 13-year-olds screwing things up bidding with their dads' screen names, etc.

Follow Ups: