Re: Re: Re: YORK TUBA INFO.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 10, 2001 at 07:53:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: YORK TUBA INFO. posted by Brian Frederiksen on May 09, 2001 at 20:08:22:

I was chatting with Patrick Sheridan about the new Besson CC at the Army conference (I'm sure I remember this 5-second conversation more clearly than he does, heh, heh). I suggested that if they are making a Nirschl-designed tuba with deep roots in the York tradition, they ought to go ahead and call it a York, since they own the name. He seemed surprised.

We will have come almost full circle. York (under the Carl Fischer parent) hired Boehm and Meinl to make their high-end horns in the 50's and 60's. That factory and tooling is now owned by Nirschl, and at least some of that tooling is still being used. The bottom bow of one of Matt Walters' creations, which he got from Nirschl, appears to be identical to the bottom bow on my York Master BBb tuba. Since Nirschl designed the new Besson CC...

What goes around comes around. There is nothing new under the sun. Or whatever trite cliche I'm looking for.

By the way, Matt's creation is a mostly-Nirschl body with a Buescher bell, and has that free sound and easy blowing that seems to me the true heirloom sound. It makes me curious as to how a Buescher bell would sound on my York Master. I thought it was the best horn in the store, and if Andy Smith had any brains, he'd rob a bank and go buy it. It is exactly what he says he's looking for, or so it seems to me.

(aside to Chuck G.--that Buescher/Dillon reminded me strongly of your Keefer-bodied Minnick creation)

Rick "in New Jersey and going back for more fun today" Denney

Follow Ups: