Re: Silver Finish Characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 12, 2001 at 11:12:25:

In Reply to: Silver Finish Characteristics posted by Karl Parks on May 12, 2001 at 00:10:30:

I have some silver plated instruments that are over 100 years old that have 100% of the silver plating intact. They still look beautiful when polished, and no, they haven't been replated. I have other, non-plated instruments about the same age, and the best that you can do is leave the green-brown tarnish on them and hope it is somewhat uniform. In my opinion, the silver plating is a much nicer looking finish. The lacquer on modern instruments is more durable than what was used on these antique instruments and should keep it looking good for a long time, so this is less of a consideration when buying a new horn.

I have noticed that some instruments seem to have a heavier plate on them than others and they stay clean longer. The one horn that stays nicest longest is a Henry Distin cornet made in 1898, while my 1915 Conn valve trombone seems to tarnish instantly, so it's not just age.

I use tarn-x for cleaning and it also has a tarnish inhibitor that seems to work pretty well. The silver stays nice for several months. Wiping a horn down with a microfiber cloth after each use helps prevent tarnish from forming. I also use anti-tarnish bags for horns that I store for some time. These are like the bags that they make for silverware and silver tea sets. They do a good job of inhibiting tarnish for a longer time. I bought mine from the Woodwind and the Brasswind. Unfortunately I haven't found one of these for anything larger than a euphonium.

Follow Ups: