Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THE horn for Bydlo????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 12, 2001 at 14:53:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: THE horn for Bydlo???? posted by Steve Dedman on May 12, 2001 at 14:28:08:

Sharing your general point of view in this matter, Steve, I can not avoid mentioning, that Philip Jones played the Promenade according to the brass only arrangement, that his brass ensemble recorded.

I do not recall the name of the arranger, it might very well have been Elgar Howarth. But the score called for the Promenade to be played, yes, on Flugelhorn. Marvellous sounded by PJ.

When it comes to the trumpet sound, which Ravel had in his main, during his orchestration work of the Mussorgsky piano score, then another anecdote comes to mind.

One of the trumpet greats of France in the 50-ties was increasingly tired of being scolded by playing too loudly on his narrow bore Selmer or Courtois instrument.

He made analyses and inquiries. Ending up with the result, that he, as was his intention, never played too loud. Only his overtone spectre gave him a too prominent, even piercing, auditive appearance.

That man was the one initiating the development of the French trumpet towards its present day larger bore incarnations.

Very well aware, that I have opened up for attacks for being inconsistent in viewpoints.

Klaus

Follow Ups: