Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: major intonation flaws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 13, 2001 at 14:39:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: major intonation flaws posted by Klaus on May 13, 2001 at 08:49:54:

Klaus raises the point that the entire 2nd partial series might be flat - so I asked.

Yup - everything from the "low" Bb on down is flat (I suppose there might be a bright side here - perhaps the 1-3 F and the 1-2-3 E are close to acceptable - but I don't think anyone really cares about those. I also asked about the fundamental Bb and he reports that it felt unstable - but he didn't try very hard because that's not a note he ever has to play while marching.

For those coming in late, and after checking with my son - the fundamental Bb is "unstable", the entire 2nd partial series is a half-step flat (compared with the 3rd partial and above), and everything from the 1-2-3 B natural on up is "as expected". Even with all slides pushed all the way in, with his mpc (a Schilke - but NOT a 51D) the 2nd partial Bb is 50 cents flat. We can probably fix *that* by a change in mpc - but so far I haven't heard any suggestion that it's possible to fix the *relative* tuning of the 2nd partials (compared to the rest of the range).

Pending discussion with his band director, the best advice I could give him was to simply play all the 2nd partials up an octave. Alternate fingerings don't see wise, especially since the 2nd partials are "only" 50 cents flat compared to the rest of the range (a full half-step flat comopared to the TUNER).

Follow Ups: