Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadian military bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!! on May 14, 2001 at 05:17:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Canadian military bands posted by Anthony Labelle on May 14, 2001 at 00:29:34:

DO BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Australia is also a very close ally of the US, but when I joined the Australian Army to play in the band I DID lose American citizenship. When I enlisted I was assured by the Australian Army that I would have "the best of two worlds - dual US and Australian citizenship. I was required to take on Aussie as a condition of service in the Aussie Army. It was not until I went to the Aust Immigration department to file my application for citizenship that I realised that I had been misinformed. When I handed my US passport over with the forms I got, "Congratulations, you are now not a citizen of any country as you have just lost your US citizenship and have a wait before you become an Australian citizen. The reason was that by joining another nations defence forces, you were regarded by the US government as renouncing US citizenship. SSSOOOOOOO, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CHeck very carefully on BOTH sides of the fence before signing up.

Ken Herrick
(Born in the USA)
Australia

Follow Ups: