Re: ? for Matt Walters or other repairmen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on May 14, 2001 at 11:05:55:

In Reply to: ? for Matt Walters or other repairmen posted by Jarod Plaking on May 14, 2001 at 08:29:37:

Jarod,
Top line "A" is commonly sharp note on CC tubas. Most CC tubist expect to play that note 3rd valve. I spent 5 years getting my personal horn the way I like it. With the exception of 1&2 vavle combinations, I can play my horn well in tune without using slides and I always play the top line "A" using 3rd valve.
1) 5 cents flat (before lipping) on the 3rd line "D" should be close enough. If you have any kind of ear, you will be lipping that in tune as you play.
2) Why does the color change so much when you play the top line "A" 3rd valve? That is the real question. If the tubing is too long, then of course flat will sound dead to the ear.
The 2145 with the new valve section has become a great horn. Also, Meinl Weston has recently begun to incorporate a longer ferrule in the bottom 3rd slide. That lets you have the slide shortened and then spot lacquered to keep your horn looking new.
My personal preference is to have the 3rd slide short enough to play a perfectly in tune "A" (bottom space) with the top 3rd slide pushed all the way in. Then pull it out to get the "Eb" below the staff in tune and you will usually have a very in-tune top line "A" using 3rd valve.
My opinion, until I can hear you and your new horn in person. Please call Dave Fedderly and ask him about this. All of us merchants want the chance to answer a customer's questions first. I'm sure he will tell you the top line "A" intonation is normal. I think it is. Heck, most BBb tubas play top space "G" better in tune using 3rd valve.
Matt

Follow Ups: