Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on May 14, 2001 at 22:30:58:

In Reply to: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 20:13:49:

three weeks before my college orchestra was to perform pictures, I was hit by a bobtail truck on my bicycle. After believing I was dying on the spot, and soon being shuttled to the hospital for x-rays and stitchery, by the end of the day I picked myself up the stairs to my room. There was Bydlo on my music stand. Oh, what to do, with busted up rib cage and no strength (or desire really) despite that I had worked my tail off to (I believed) be able to cover the part on a rather special (to me anyway) Mirafone Tenor/mini tuba.

When I made it back to school the following Monday, I explained "my" situation to our director, who suggested "give it to the trombone."

So I did.

Vernon M played it GREAT (on a 35 dollar salvation army euph) and I managed to cover the rest well with the old Karl Ziess.

Years later, even had I persisted in playing, I know I could never convey the same level of struggle, anguish and lament that Vernon did that night on the ox-cart solo. In my current orchestra I'd hand it down to Russ in a minute, and look forward to hearing him do it.

Honestly, I am not sure how much room there is in section for individual pride when while seated as part of the section. That experience back at SJSU did NOT teach me this, but recalling it today has.

Follow Ups: