Re: Need advice from tuba teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JayH on May 14, 2001 at 22:33:30:

In Reply to: Need advice from tuba teachers posted by Mr T on May 14, 2001 at 16:22:29:

The VMI Mike Russo suggested is a very nice and smart model for a high school band program. The King 2341 was also a good suggestion. When making your decision you want the best horn, but you also want the best lasting and most logical horn. I would tend to side with pistons because of the ease of keeping them up compared to rotary's. We all know that instruments in a high school, as well as you try to keep care of them, will take a beating, and rotary's are exposed to that beating. Also going lacquer not silver plate is an obvious choice. The Miraphone 186 is a great horn, but I tend to think that is more of a personal instrument rather than school instrument. Also I would stay away from Cerveny....Easily dented, and many duds. The minus about the King 2341 is that it is a detachable bell horn (two cases - no fun - really annoying) but other than that its a solid horn for a school program. There is a new prototype of the King 2341 which I think might become the most ideal horn for a high school program, but don't think that's out for sale yet. Hope this helps a little...

Follow Ups: