Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Things to consider on May 15, 2001 at 21:52:49:

In Reply to: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 20:13:49:

Performances are not showcases for us to show off. They should be solely for the audience, and for me, that's eveyone from a six-year-old kid to an 80 year old man. However, I do not consider my fellow tubists in the audience who would like to see me blow away the entire or orchestra, squeal bydlo out, or otherwise flex my musical muscles. Nor do I consider music historians, concerned only with the performance's proximity to intent of the composer (though in this case the euph is actually closer to Ravel's intent). This piece, and every piece, should be played like the audience has never heard it before.

Mr. Jacobs used to practice this solo, though he didn't usually perform it with the CSO as Reiner had the sense to give it to a euph. There is a recording of him doing the solo, with Ozawa at the helm. Jake plays the solo perfectly, better than I could, and as I hate to inform you, better than any of you could. Yet, I have heard euphs play it better. Unless you are honestly 4 times more talented than the principal trombonist, be a man and pass.

Follow Ups: