Re: Why has the value of my horn decreased?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JayH on May 16, 2001 at 11:56:31:

In Reply to: Why has the value of my horn decreased? posted by Dave on May 15, 2001 at 22:51:24:

In my experience....
When the Kalisons came out, they were talked up big time. I knew 4-5 people that had bought them in about a 5-6 month period. They were "the answer". (TE took advantage and sold them for a nice price....) Well after some testing out, and years of experience all of their little negative spots have been discovered. I have found some funky intonation along with a type of tone that I find undesirable. The horn itself just didn't live up to the hype. It is the risk of buying an unproven horn. Not to mention with all the new tubas that have and are coming out, when comparing them the name Kalison just doesn't stick out anymore. For a college student or professional, they are going to look at the proven brands, the proven winners (Perantucci for example), or even something new and hot to the market (56J, how bout that buzz about the new Besson CC?). Kalison doesn't even enter my mind when thinking about getting a new horn (which I am in the process of doing). Kalison is no longer hot, has been disproved as "the answer", and is no longer desirable by many people. In fact of those people that I knew that owned the Kalison horns, only two own them yet, and I am pretty sure that one of them is going to sell soon. Which brings up another point...Price compeition....There are many reasons for the horn's resale being so low...Its unfortunate, but all I can say is that 'dem da breaks.

Follow Ups: