Re: Re: Re: major intonation flaws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 16, 2001 at 15:27:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: major intonation flaws posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 16, 2001 at 11:32:17:

With the ever evolving maching band instrument technology (sarcasm), your best best may be a Bach 12C. I know that this may be uncomfortable for your son, but the instrument was probably designed with this mouthpiece in mind. From my unwanted experience with these horns, they function pretty well in G for the drum corps, but te Bb versions seem to be comprimised cut models of the G hence many intonation deficiencies. The guys I have heard with success have only really been laying these mainly above the staff (college MB arrangements). As well as the low register being out of tune, it doesn't project well either most of the time. The best horns for this stuff have been the newer Kanstul Models. Not only do they seem t have a little larger bore to open the horn up, but the wrap is better, and they have a main slide after the valve set with a saddle for the left thumb to "tune every note". Even though I am not a huge marching band fan, Kanstul makes a superior line of marching horns. I know that this info is after the fact, but most marching horns have huge amounts of problems, not just intonation, but projection, and even sounding like different horns register to register.
Best of Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: