Re: Re: UPS vs. FedEx Ground vs. USPS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick F on May 18, 2001 at 12:30:15:

In Reply to: Re: UPS vs. FedEx Ground vs. USPS posted by Someone who knows on May 18, 2001 at 10:49:01:

I received a euphonium through UPS a little over a year ago. It was a Getzen 2230 (if memory serves) which is a 3/4 size euphonium. It was packed in the original hard case with newspaper paper packed inside the bell and the horn strapped inside the case. THEN the case itself was packed into a cardboard box filled with styrofoam peanuts. UPS obviously dropped it somewhere along the way. The box was damaged with styrofoam peanuts leaking out, and the bell of the horn was creased badly. Lucky for me, I had purchased the instrument from a reputable dealer who took it back and dealt with UPS themselves. (UPS paid for the return shipping.) Not sure what the dealer got from UPS for the damage.

When I got my current euphonium (YEP-641) it was shipped via Air Freight "counter to counter" where it cost much more (~$65) to ship, but arrived safely with no damage. I picked up the instrument at air freight counter and opened it up and checked it while still there at the counter.

I've read that it's a good idea to pack a partially deflated soccer ball inside the bell of a euphonium so that the edges of the bell do not press against case inside. The soccer ball presses on the inside walls of the bell (its strongest portion) and then the ball presses against the case. I haven't tried this method myself, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Rick F.

Follow Ups: