Brass Quintet Instrumentation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on May 18, 2001 at 22:59:57:

OK, I know this is only loosely related, but seems like I good place to ask this.
Have any of you guys played in/listened to a quintet with a non-standard instrumentation? What instruments were used? How did it sound to you?
I do have a CD of The Make Believe Brass, and they use 2 cornets, baritone horn, tenor trombone and tuba, their sound blends much better (IMO) than the standard quintet. However, the baritone horn playing high to cover the alto voice still doesn't blend quite right to my ear (but did much better than a french horn would IMO).
I had been toying with the idea (before I got the CD, honestly) of a quintet with 2 Bb cornets (one doubleing on an Eb cornet and/or picc trumpet, the other on flugelhorn), alto horn, trombone (who can double on euph) and tuba. How do you guys think that might sound? Any of you played in a simular instrumentation or had any simular ideas?
Just incase you were wondering, I was thinking about trying to start a local quintet, and I just want something different.
You guys have fun dreaming on this one,
Steve C

Follow Ups: