Re: Re: Re: Re: Rudy Meinl Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 21, 2001 at 13:02:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Rudy Meinl Mouthpieces posted by Lee Stofer on May 21, 2001 at 08:34:53:

Thanks for the info and guesses Lee. I would be interested in the product list, if you manage to get it. None of my Rudy Meinl mouthpieces have the numbering system you describe. Two of them have the name RUDY MEINL on the side and a number underneath (1 and 3, respectively) and the other has no name but the initials RM2 on the side. I picked these mouthpieces up off of eBay a while back (I think maybe from Paul Krzywicki?) and I was curious when the discussion came up as to their origins. I particularly like the model 1, it works very well with my RM-10, but I never even knew they sold their own line of mouthpieces.

Knowing Rudy's habit of trial and error design, I would guess that the mouthpiece becomes an even more crucial variable in the process. If Rudy has a recommendation for their RM-10 model tuba, I'd be curious to hear it. Since I bought my Nirschl, my Rudy has languished in the case because it is now a kind of in between horn for me. I do some quintet playing and the Rudy works fine for that but I'm looking for a slightly smaller sound for quintet than the RM-10 currently provides when I use a Bach 18, like I always have. It occurred to me that my mouthpiece choice for the Rudy has always been based on the fact that it was my primary instrument. Since that no longer is the case, I feel like I can experiment a little and maybe come up with a combination that might yield a more specialized sound that I can use more often. Knowing the european tendency for a somewhat smaller tuba sound and combining that with the wealth of intonation problems I've learned to live with on my Rudy, I've postulated that my mouthpiece choice may not be the very best one for the RM-10. The Bach allows me to do a very wide range of playing but I wonder if using a somewhat smaller mouthpiece or one the manufacturer meant to be used with the horn might yield not quite as much versatility but better intonation. I had no idea Rudy made Helleberg style mouthpieces like you mention and I'm now very curious to know if they have other models of which I am unaware. Perhaps going to the source will provide options that might work better than those I'm aware of.

Sorry to ramble on like this. Thanks again for the info!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: