Re: Re: overcoming panic attacks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by careful now on May 21, 2001 at 20:27:04:

In Reply to: Re: overcoming panic attacks posted by Tim L. on May 21, 2001 at 15:19:19:

I have also used beta blockers. They do not regulate the heart; they regulate the beta waves which are a secondary pulse capable of increasing the primary pulse, therefore causing your blood pressure to soar. They work by blocking the wave receptors so that, even though the waves are signalled the signal is ignored. They are almost a designer drug for occasional use to control hypertension or overly excitable people as performers may become.

But beta waves do other, beneficial things in your body. You will likely be somewhat sexually impaired by the use of beta blockers, especially if you are male. Guess what one of the functions controlled by beta blockers is. That's right; I knew you would get it! This effect is more pronounced the more often you take the drugs. Also, the studies I have read on the beta blockers (Tenormin is a common one) show that they don't work very well with African/American women. No reason for this is given but it is stated as a study conclusion.

If you can not function because of anxiety, look in to beta blockers but don't make it a habit.

Follow Ups: