Re: 5th valve?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on May 23, 2001 at 11:34:55:

In Reply to: 5th valve? posted by Wondering on May 23, 2001 at 10:54:38:

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I think a 5th valve is overrated. Sure, given the choice between having one or not, give it to me, but I have played a 4 valve CC for 15 years, and have wished I had a 5th valve one time. here are some ways to make life a little simpler if you dont have a 5th valve.
First thing is to make sure your low f is close to being in tune 1-2-4. If it is so flat that you can't lip it, that WILL cause problems.
second, make sure your first valve slide is able to be adjusted smoothly.
third, try lipping your pedal CC up to a c#, it can sound pretty good if your low register is good to begin with.
forth, a 2nd valve tuning trigger can help on low Gb's and D's. these are cheap and easy to add.
5th, depending on your horn, you might be able to add temporary extensions onto your 4th valve to lower it another 1/2 step. I made a set for my horn, they are easy to take on and off, and if I play a piece that I need many low d's and Db's, I have them if I need them.
Let's face it, if you have a nice low f, and have a Eb tuba that can get the low d's and Db's, you may be able to make that work for the rest of your life. If you are looking at a great horn and you can get it for a great price, don't let the 5th valve be a factor, you can always add one later if you really want one.

Follow Ups: