Re: Re: Raising a family while being a musician

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 23, 2001 at 12:18:56:

In Reply to: Re: Raising a family while being a musician posted by In the same boat on May 23, 2001 at 06:33:37:

I think you hit the nail on the head. There are many professions that have just as demanding a schedule or require significant travel and people in those professions can have successful marriages. I used to travel 80% of the time as a consultant. I would be away from home for months at a time, only coming home on weekends. My wife worked full time until we had children and then part time after. With my schedule I had to plan the time that we would spend together and make sure that it was as much as a priority as anything else. We have now been married almost 22 years.

Marriage is like any other committment you make, you need to be certain that it is the right choice, and then work at making it successful. I am an amateur muscian, but still have rehearsal and practice committments. My wife doesn't play an instrument, so she doesn't participate in any of my rehearsals or gigs, other than to act as an appreciative audience. Even so she supports my time playing tuba. She was the one who encouraged me to pick it up again after many years.

Follow Ups: