Poor Tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Robert Nowell on May 24, 2001 at 05:08:29:

I've been playing for about 15 years now, 10 of those were actually on a tuba (trumpet convert). I was always an above average player (all-state/region) but I have a terrible problem which limits my potential. The problem is that I tongue between the lips. I have no problems with attacks throughout my range under normal circumstances but there are occasions when my attacks can get sloppy, usually moderately rapid passages at forte' or louder. Extremely fast passages aren't too bad because when I kick in the double tonguing my physiology naturally brings my tongue a little higher up out from between my lips (although not completely).

Now I'm not a music major and only perform in a few local bands and wind symphonies these days but I still have the desire to correct this. The problem is when I use the typical "tah", "toh", "dah", or "doh" attacks my lips will waver badly on the attack and the note will not start on pitch (sounds like a big bullfrog). I have always been praised for my tone and pitch accuracy but when I use the "proper" techniques I sound like I've never played a tuba my entire life. I end up having to revert to the "spit" attacks just to make it through a concert.

Has anyone gone through this or have any ideas that could help?

Robby

Follow Ups: