Re: Blesson or Bessing???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Serious on May 24, 2001 at 09:28:17:

In Reply to: Blesson or Bessing??? posted by Gerald McB. on May 23, 2001 at 18:34:42:

OK, everyone has had a lot of fun with this, but I think that this person is asking a serious question. Of course, if he is and he is really a band director, I don't want to think of where he got his education.

To start out with, Blessing and Besson are probably the brands that you are thinking of. Besson makes good quality student line horns in their 700 series, that would be reasonable choices for middle school bands. I don't know if Blessing makes tubas, but I would avoid them if they did. I think that the Jupiter 300 series, Yamaha 105 or 201, King 1135 or 1140, or Weril tubas would all be good options for a middle school.

As for Brass-lacquer vs. silver-plate I would go with brass for a middle school. They are just going to get beat up anyway, and why pay the extra money for silver that would just end up having to be replacted when you make repairs.

For salty road condition I recommend using a good case with wheels that you can attach to your trailer hitch. Make sure to use a good underbody coating for the case before towing. Also a run through a good car wash with an underbody rinse should be done to remove any road salts in the Spring.

Follow Ups: