Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cast Member on May 24, 2001 at 11:13:15:

In Reply to: Re: Disney BLAST!s out posted by Kudos on May 23, 2001 at 20:33:08:

I agree that Disney has laid off too many of their professional musicians. It has weighed heavily on some of the cast members in the company. Being a substitute musician myself, I see the opportunities falling away.
Even though I didn't want a great many of those musicians laid off, I can see the business side of it. Think about how much money it costs to run a show in-park. Disney had to be losing money, and though it is hard to say, a small rock group would cost less then a large drum corps group.
As for getting rid of some of those small groups like the tuba-fours, I have no response. I thought they were extremely cost-effective, and I know they worked really hard to keep their show up to date. They are great musicians, and it was shocking to see them go. I guess the reason might be Disney had to start cutting costs because of the other branches of their huge conglomerate that are losing money. Also, look at all the lawsuits that Disney has had to fight and, recently, lose.
We, as entertainers have to realize we are always on the chopping block. No matter if you are a part of a company like Disney, on Broadway, at Lincoln Center as a part of some orchestra, in the LA Studios doing soundtracks, on MTV, VH1, BET or Bravo...if you don't draw a crowd, or aren't popular with the general public, you will get the axe.

It is an ugly fact of our chosen profession, but still a fact.

Follow Ups: