Re: serious Blessing question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 24, 2001 at 15:42:46:

In Reply to: serious Blessing question posted by Mike May on May 24, 2001 at 12:19:26:

The latest generation of Blessing tubas were (are?) copies of the King 1160. The Blessing tuba's valveset (like on their marching instruments) was (is?) German-made. I am a Blessing dealer and very enthusiastic about their instruments. This tuba, though, seems to get yanked apart if used in a "bad" school or by kids with "special needs" (whatever).

There is ANOTHER King 1160 copy (I sell these, too) that is made in Taiwan. The Taiwanese copy is very sturdy and fits together very well. The price is also very fair. The Taiwan instrument is brought in by D.E.G. and sold as "Shafer". These are a little bit bigger instruments than the Weril 3/4's and Yamaha 3/4's, but then again with the Weril 3/4 you can pay roughly the same price as a Shafer and get a 4-piston instrument. The Shafer (Taiwan), the Blessing (American/German), and the King 1160 (that the other two replicate) are only available with 3-pistons.

I'm pretty sure that the King, Blessing, and Shafer are all available with an optional clamp-on shoulder-marching mouthpipe.

Locally, there is a used Shafer with hard case - church-owned - in very nice used condition. The church is probably going to purchase a 4/4 size Weril 4-valve tuba from me this summer, and will be looking to sell their nice used Shafer with case.

Follow Ups: