Re: Switching between Eb and BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on May 25, 2001 at 09:04:44:

In Reply to: Switching between Eb and BBb posted by Jim Achenbach on May 24, 2001 at 17:14:35:

Jim,
Eve's response below is just about the best advice you can get on the matter. It is always best to learn the specific horns fingering patterns first and down the road learn the transposition tricks. This method will give the player a better foundation or home to explore from if you will. In your case you probably learned to play the F horn then learned how to transpose on the fly. If you do not learn the basic stuff first then the more advanced technique will surely be problematic at best. It may take more time but it will be time well spent. I play GG Tuba written in bass and treble clef, BBb tuba in Bass and treble clef, C tuba in bass clef, Eb tuba in bass and treble clef, F tuba in bass clef and Euphonium in bass, tenor and treble clef. I have found that when switching between horns I think about the set up in my hands first and think about the pitch in my head then go from there. If I try the transposition method I always cross read. I started out as a sax player and regularly switched from Bari, tenor , alto and soprano sax as well as flute and clarinet. the saxes were very easy due to the music being written for each horn but all tubas in the USA read from a common part in concert pitch thus the need for a different set of fingerings as you may well know. Take the time to teach the horns fingerings first and the rest will follow.
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: