Re: Re: Re: sousaphone gig bags?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 26, 2001 at 03:36:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: sousaphone gig bags? posted by Tuba John on May 25, 2001 at 21:25:02:

"Supersack" is a brand name like "Blues Renuion".

Whether they are available in the USA is beyond my knowledge. Why the 3 newest of my 9 bags are Supersacks only has to to with the fact, that the exchange rate on the $ got very unfavourable.

The Ss basically is the same as the RB. Except for my first RB, which is in leather, I have only nylon canvas bags, as they do not need greasing.

The RB nylons, inner and outer, have a more pleasant touch on the fingertips.

The Ss anchorings of the handles and the strap rings look to be a bit stronger.

The RBs have leather linings of the edge seams. Look better than the Ss naugahyde equivalent.

My Ss alto bone bag has a feature, which clearly surpasses my RB tenor and bass bags: the slide compartment has a hard protection all the way round, that is molded in one piece, so that only the top loading end is open.

Before I bought the Ss for my Conn 26K (1928) Eb sousaphone, I was warned by the maker of Glassl fiber sousas, that buying a gig bag for such a heavy sousa would be a bad idea. It would hardly be possible make the anchorings of the straps strong enough.

Still I bought one. Only to learn that Ss has worked around that problem by avoiding the shoulder straps allowing one to carry it back pack style.

In stead there is one wide strap running all around the perimeter of the bag. Thereby supporting the sousa body very well. The strap then is taken over the shoulder. Good balance, easy passage of doorways, but hard on the shoulder.

The Ss sousa bag padding could have been more generous. A friend, who loaned the instrument for a pit job, made a fine inner foam padding for the perimeter and the stack protrusion.

I would never buy a bag for my 1927 4V Conn 40K BBb sousa, as it is very much heavier and in a shape, which is worth the protection of a hard case.

Klaus

Follow Ups: