Re: Why did Conn stop making 20Js

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Landry on May 27, 2001 at 14:44:19:

In Reply to: Why did Conn stop making 20Js posted by Jamel Beslow on May 23, 2001 at 09:17:33:

Jamel:

This is only one tubist's opinion, take it FWIW:

1. If you must use Conn 20J's, use them inside. Maybe not the best tuba in some people's opinion, but a workhorse for most band programs regardless. Besides, the person's spine you save today might be your own (pesonal experience, having once tried to march with a concert tuba the size of a cannon.)

2. This is a final ditch-attempt plea on behalf of the oft-maligned Sousaphone to any UMI reps or instrument manufacturers who visit this site: PLEEEEEEEEEASE BRING BACK THE OLD CONN 20K!!!!! I have to give the Yamaha guys some credit for the YSH-411 - it's pretty close, only I've noted that the bell has a nasty overtone ring on the open F's and sometimes on the 1-3 C. Otherwise, I haven't played any S-phone that even comes close. I used to march with an old Conn 20K in LSU's Tiger Marching Band, and I can honestly say that they were worth the added weight and the numerous bottles of Absorbine Jr. that I applied to my left shoulder; I have never heard any tuba section, high school or collegiate, that has that kind of bottom sound and believe me, there are a lot of good collegiate tuba sections out there, so it ain't necessarily the players.

There are enough old ones still in existence that it wouldn't be hard for some enterprising manufacturer to copy the specs and come up with a decent Sousaphone. My apologies to the band directors, but if you have 'em, hang on to 'em - put 'em in the shop every summer and overhaul 'em if you have to. If any manufacturer comes out with a model even close to the old 20K, I'd be more than happy to give it a test-drive. Until then, the old 20Ks are worth every penny you pay for 'em.

P.S.: The old Eastlake, OH King Sousaphones (model no. I can't recall) were quite good, and with less weight. I think some of these horns are still in residence at Rice and James Madison University. Mad props on those axes.

Follow Ups: