Re: Re: Re: Selling transactions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on May 27, 2001 at 21:19:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Selling transactions posted by BF on May 27, 2001 at 20:22:49:

I'm sure others will give you great advice...

My usual practice when selling a horn:

1. Get an estimate on the shipping costs 1 way plus insurance. Make sure your horn is insured for the total amount of the selling price.

2. Require that your buyer send a money order (no personal checks) for the price of the horn plus shipping and insurance 1 way.

3. Have the funds in your account and available before you ship the horn (provide the prospective buyer with any and all information requested (save Soc Sec # and the like) so that he will feel confident in sending you the money.

4. Ship the horn and allow the buyer up to 2 weeks for playtesting (most decent players know within a couple of days if the horn is going to work for them). Give them time to have a private lesson with it, try it in different halls, etc.

5. If he decides to keep the horn, the deal is done. If he decides to return it, he must pay for shipping and insurance back on his end.

6. Once the horn is received back by you, inspect it then send his money back minus the shipping one way fee as promptly as possible (go ahead and fork the extra dough to send it back overnite to ease his fears of a possible scam).

If a buyer falters at any of your requirements, don't feel obligated or desperate to forgo your policy and send it out. Provide him with a work number, employer, bank info, references, addresses, etc. Give him a chance to check you out if he feels so inclined, and don't be offended if he does. He is, after all, considering sending a large amount of money to a virtual stranger. He's just covering his back.

I have been lucky enough to deal with great people, even those who weren't interested in my wares. I hope your experiences are similar.

Follow Ups: