Re: medical post

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on May 29, 2001 at 23:40:47:

In Reply to: medical post posted by Michael R. Cavitt on May 29, 2001 at 20:50:09:

The specific book that has been alluded to earlier in this thread would be Arnold Jacobs -The Legacy of a Master Collected by M. Dee Stewart. It is available from IU Press and is a wonderful book to have in any brass players collection.

As long as I'm on the topic of suggested reading here are a few other suggestions that have helped me quite a bit on my journey thus far(no particular order):

The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallway
The Inner Game of Music I don't recall the author but actually enjoyed the tenis book more
A Soprano on Her Head by Eloise Ristad
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind by Brian Fredericksen
The Art of Growing a Beard by Marvin Grosswirth ;b

What you are describing sounds a lot like you are engaging the valsalva maneuver. The technition's answer to this problem is to make sure your embouchure is set and that your tongue is in place *before* you begin to play. Begin to blow *then* lower your tongue to release the air. Your tongue releases the air. The air starts the note.

In all reality I can't imagine that there are any pros spending much time in the heat of performance making sure they go through each step before starting a note. It all needs to be one smooth effortless 'thoughtless' motion. The best way to achieve that state is to focus on the product and leave the technitian's answers to the middle school band directors. When I'm being good I find it very helpful to perform for a recording device. Mics are slightly more evil than metronomes or tuners and all three are always wrong but a good recording session does a lot for getting me out of my own way.

good luck!
Joseph 'think method' Felton

Follow Ups: