Re: Mouthpieces, pitch and display stands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 31, 2001 at 14:51:25:

In Reply to: Mouthpieces, pitch and display stands posted by Les Smith on May 31, 2001 at 12:30:12:

I can't completely answer your first question because I myself don't fully understand all the subtle factors that affect intonation when considering different mouthpieces. I would suggest a trip to someone like Doug Elliot. Doug makes his own component style mouthpieces and seems to have a knack for putting together effective mouthpieces targeted for a specific player/tuba combination. Past that, you're condemned to simple experimentation to come up with the answers you're looking for.

Storing the tuba on the bell or not carries no advantage that I can see. Water always seeks its equilibrium and storing the tuba in any position is going to encourage the water to follow gravity. Pooled water, in any part of the tuba, is not a good thing and can cause damage. One of the other posters makes a good point about the instability of a tuba on its bell. I never put my tuba on the bell unless it's also leaning against some solid object like a wall. I've found that as long as you are careful, and store your tuba where there aren't things like running children, storage on the bell is perfectly safe.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: