Re: PT-6P Valve problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on June 01, 2001 at 02:47:30:

In Reply to: PT-6P Valve problems posted by Mike Silvagnoli on May 30, 2001 at 15:15:09:

I had a similar problem with my PT-7P. First, I would try "lapping" the valves with Lava brand liquid soap. Take each piston and work the soap on each valve liberally with your bare hand. RINSE VERY WELL WITH PLENTY OF WARM WATER. Make sure all the soap and grit is rinsed clean before applying valve oil and placing back into the valve casing. Some of the oils recommended already are all good oils. You just have to experiment to see which works for your horn. I don't necessarily recommend this, but I carefully stretched my valve springs alittle bit, which produced more up force on the piston. The result made the valves harder to push but just about eliminated all the sticking. Like a said, I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS. However, it did work in my case and I gradually got used to the harder push of the valves. Check with a professional instrument repair person before attempting to alter any of the original equipment. Good luck!

Ken

Follow Ups: