Re: Recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on June 01, 2001 at 23:13:51:

In Reply to: Recordings posted by Graham Keith on May 31, 2001 at 00:18:44:

You know, if you go to Vegas, you could triple your money....

Seriously though, get an excerpt book but save your money and copy someone else's. Personally I prefer the Arban trombone book to the tuba book because I feel it is much more thorough and has numerous extra studies in the back. Also, you get used to reading everything down an octave. I think I speak for everyone when I say you should definitely get the Bell book. You don't necessarily have to follow all the instructions to the letter (most people don't), but the scales and arpeggios work as a wonderful warm-up. Also, i you don't already have them, look into getting books by Rochut, Blazhevich, Gregoriev, and Kopprasch. As for recordings, try Gene Porkorney's "Orchestral Excerpts For Tuba". For pleasure, use your best judgement.

(Also, please don't tell me all about copywrite laws and pirating. I'm aware it hurts the music industry, but after buying two of my own horns and using all the money I make on my ushering job to pay for tuition, institutes, and summer lessons, i'm poor enough as it is and couldn't possibly afford half the materials I have now. Copying is an unfortunate, but necessary evil to stay alive)

Follow Ups: