Re: What makes a good musician

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brendan on May 01, 2002 at 21:51:06:

In Reply to: What makes a good musician posted by Brandon Ostrom on May 01, 2002 at 18:28:12:

To me, a good musician plays from the heart. The technique just regulates how difficult of a piece they can play. It isn't how high or how fast that should dictate how good or great a player is, it is how expresivly they can play. If you can feel the emotion pouring forth from them, they are doing there job.

I once attended a Junior High solo contest to hear a young tuba player. He had asked me to help him prepare his piece a month or so before. I had not heard him in about 2 weeks and didn't know what to expect. He is not a child prodigy by anymeans, but he put everything he had into that performance. I was very impressed by this young kid who had a hard time playing a 2 octave scale, and yet at the same time managed to be expresive with his horn.

I am not saying that I don't do Arban Studies or that being a good technical player is something that isn't important. I just feel like it comes second to playing with feeling and emotion. After all, we are artist and entertainers. And isn't are job as such to move and captivate the audience with our performance?

Brendan Bohnhorst

Follow Ups: