Re: Re: Question for the Professionally employed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on May 08, 2002 at 09:52:23:

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Professionally employed posted by js on May 08, 2002 at 01:25:46:

I concur, making your living as a tubist is certainly not limited to getting a big Orchestra gig. Even for the exceptional few who do land a big-time gig have other sources for their income: teaching lessons, running a small business, etc.

In my post-army undergraduate days I made a pretty good living playing my horn in a small community (Reno) where there was a much bigger fish in the pond (Russ Dickman). The key to getting gigs was to make my own opportunities.

I started my own brass quartet and dixie band (that doubled as a German Oompa band for octoberfest gigs). With these two groups I was able to play all kinds of occasions; mall openings, church services, wedding, parties, city sponsored concerts in the park, even a few gigs at the local pubs.

The point is, you can make a good living as a tubist... you just need to create your own opportunities. As a side note, you might be amazed how many "clients" will invite you back if you remember to send them a thank you card.

Follow Ups: