Re: What to do with a 20J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil on May 08, 2002 at 14:38:09:

In Reply to: What to do with a 20J posted by Rick Denney on May 08, 2002 at 13:58:30:

Hi, Rick. I found your post interesting because I was considering doing exactly the same thing with a satin-silver 20J last summer, turning it around for front-action and using the .750" bore 4-valve cluster from my old King 1241. I eventually chickened out, re-sold the 20J, and ended up buying the 36J from E**y back in December.

Matt Walters told me, at the time I was considering the project, that a MW cluster would run about 2,000; I don't know, but I'd guess that a Hirsbrunner set would be more. The Meinl-W would be my choice, I think, if I had the money and inclination to try what you're doing. Much success, and happy "Conning"!

P.S. I noticed that turning the 26" recording bell on my horn to the right has the desired effect of simulating an upright bell. It sounds grand, and when I have the dough, I'm going to ask Lee Stofer to fabricate a straight section to convert the recorder to an upright bell. You might want to contact Lee about this option, if you wouldn't mind a 24" upright bell! (I think a 26" upright bell is gonna be kinda cool, myself! :-)

Follow Ups: