Re: Back to the question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by d on May 08, 2002 at 17:41:18:

In Reply to: Back to the question posted by Doug on May 08, 2002 at 15:38:22:

You will have a very difficult time in getting a straight answer out of the readers of the BBS on that instrument. As you have read so far, the objection is primarily with the person selling the instrument and not just the instrument. As a businessman, the owner of TE is very good as the article in the New York Times indicated. Anything said about him and his employees is just the opinion of the person making the statement.

Having said that, the instruments have a reputation for being made cheaply. If you are careful with the horn and take it to a reputable repairman to have him/her work on the valves, it can be a very servicable horn for anyone wanting to buy a "relatively inexpensive" BBb tuba. The valves can be sped up by buffing the valves and then putting the horn back together.

Bill Rose (retired Univ. of Houston Low Brass Professor, and retired Houston Symphony tubist) has two of them he plays now. He can get a very good sound on them, so who knows? He is the one who designed the Marcinkewitz mouthpiece that TE sells. It makes the low register work really well on the horn. Want more information from Mr. Rose? Go to the ITEA membership roster, look up his e-mail address and ask him yourself.

When purchasing an instrument, no matter who is selling it, I treat the situation like I do when I buy a car. The person on the other end has a product to sell and wants to do that. Some salesmen come off sounding like they know what they are talking about and others don't. The person you "believe" is the one you will buy the car (tuba) from 9 times out of 10. This goes for any of the shops mentioned on the BBS on a regular basis.

Good luck on getting a new horn. It can be one of the best experiences of your life or one of the worst depending on how you do your homework.

Follow Ups: