Re: Miraphone 190

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on May 09, 2002 at 11:13:19:

In Reply to: Miraphone 190 posted by GC on May 09, 2002 at 08:30:33:

The 190 *is* large. I've got the CC version, and one of the community groups I play in has a BBb. The BBb version is actually a little smaller - my CC has a larger bell flare. Specs on my horn are .840" bore, 19.75" bell, 43.5" tall. It's one of the largest rotary tubas you can get, spec-wise.

Intonation and response on the BBb is a little squirrely, to say the least. It definitely takes some work to play. My CC horn, on the other hand, has an amazing sound. It's been described by some as "coming from everywhere, making the room shake." I can push a group off the stage if I'd like, but it also retains a nice, clear sound when played soft - doesn't "tub out", in other words.

If you're curious about what one sounds like, check out the remastered E.T. soundtrack, the Last Starfighter and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. That's Tommy Johnson playing on the horn I have. I've heard some say the horns are turkeys, and maybe the ones they tried are. Mine's not, and neither is the one that was listed for sale here a few weeks ago. Of course, we're talking about the CC horns, not BBb.

Hope this helps...

Follow Ups: